Is 4 A Lucky Or Unlucky Number

2021-12-14 by


We are a passionate group of 100 avid travelers who love sharing our knowledge about China with others looking for authentic travel experiences. In Chinese mythology, it is said that the Dragon has 9 children. Chinese would prefer to choose “8” as the date and/or time of important events.

Is 4 a lucky number in America?

Many Chinese don’t want FOUR in their phone number or house number. But FOUR is a lucky number, both in Europe, North America, and Australia.

Mentioning the number four to an ill family member is considered to be highly offensive, and giving anything with 4 on it to someone can be seen as a death threat. Thus, some buildings in East Asia omit floors and room numbers containing 4, similar to the Western practice of some buildings not having a 13th floor because 13 is considered unlucky.


About Tutorming

So, it is important for Chinese people to choose a good number for important items, such as wedding dates, dates of moving into a new house, numbers of car license plates, telephone numbers, and so on. A person’s 66th birthday is a special occasion. Dates with 6 characters are used to sign contracts or new ventures. These numbers are considered lucky numbers when they are used to pay the amount of money in a red envelope (hongbao Hong Bao) for Chinese New Year and/or a wedding ceremony. All three numbers wish for a happy future. Depending on the situation, the number 3 may also be unlucky.

Where East Asian and Western cultures blend, such as in Hong Kong, it is possible in some buildings that the thirteenth floor along with all the floors with 4s to be omitted. Thus a building whose top floor is numbered 100 would in fact have just eighty one floors. Similar to Vietnamese, the number 4 is called Si in Sino-Vietnamese. It sounds similar to tu (Si) in Vietnamese.

Businesses will also repeat words in names and slogans, hoping to bring good luck. It is well-known that Si sounds like Si (si), which in Chinese means “death”.

China Highlights is happy to answer any questions you may have about this topic. We can also help you plan a trip to China that includes a traditional tour through the country’s history. You can also create your own trip using a wonderful feature on our website.

Lucky and unlucky Chinese numbers

8 is considered lucky and favored by Chinese because it holds meaning in both traditional and modern cultures. Lucky numbers in China have similar pronunciations to words with lucky meanings. If you have any inquiries concerning exactly where and how to use online readings, you can get hold of us at the web page. In addition to these superstitions about numbers, fengshui (or the Chinese zodiac) can also dictate different luck numbers for different people and places. The numbers 3, 5, and 8 are generally considered to be lucky, while 4 is considered unlucky. These beliefs are not exclusive to Chinese culture. Other countries with a history with Han characters have similar beliefs.

Is 4 a good number?

If you are looking to set goals and stay focused, houses with the number 4 (or numbers that add upto it), are lucky. … The number 4 signifies stability, reliability, sturdiness and it has the energy of being grounded, organised and productive.

Chinese culture puts emphasis on family and strong, healthy children, so Sheng has a positive connotation. Three is a significant number in Buddhism, which is popular in China. It refers to the “three jewels”, which are a foundational ideal. The above captures all you should know about lucky numbers. 7 (Qi ), pronounced qi/ chi, is a number that symbolizes togetherness and harmony as its is considered to be the union of yin, yang and the five elements in Confucianism. Most Chinese people love the numbers 8, 2, 6 and 9. Combinations of the above are deemed as lucky numbers too, such as 66, 88, 168.

‘nine die one live’) meaning 90% chance of being dead and only 10% chance of being alive, month or survived such situations . San sounds similar to Sheng , which means “life” or “to give birth” in Chinese.

What is the lucky number for 2020?

If you are waiting for good luck in the year 2020, you can depend on the numbers like 1, 5, 8, 22, 29, 33, and 44 considering the planetary positions above. Astrology suggests that the numbers 7, 10, 18, 21, 24, 36, and 59 will be lucky ones for you during the year 2020 considering the planetary orientation.


9 (pronounced Jiu ) is a popular number. It is similar to 6 and 8. 555 (wu wu wu) represents Wu Wu Wu (wu wu wu), which is the sound of crying. Wo Ai Ni (wo-ai ni) is 520. It means “I love you” in Chinese.

Sometimes, Chinese prefer to text this to one another than saying “I love you” to each other. Another set of numbers that can be used is the number 250.

an insult to call someone foolish or mock their intelligence in informal language. Er Bai Wu (er bai wu) is the literal way to say 250 in Chinese but people instead say ‘liang bai wu’.

What is the color marriage?

1st Anniversary: Gold or Yellow. 2nd Anniversary: Red or Linen White. 3rd Anniversaries: White or Jade Green. 4th Anniversary: Blue or Green.

The Chinese are so obsessed with numbers that they will spend a lot of money to get “lucky numbers” in life. A man in Hangzhou listed his license plate, A8888, for $140,000 online. 3 (pronounced San ), which is pronounced san, can be considered lucky because it sounds similar to the word that refers to birth. This number also represents the three stages of life – birth, marriage and death – which adds to its significance in Chinese culture. People believe lucky numbers can bring good luck and fortune in Chinese culture.

520 is often used by young lovers in China who want to express their love for each other in a simple way. In Chinese, the pronunciation of 520 (Wu Er Ling wu er ling) bears some resemblance to wu ai ni (Wu Ai Ni ), which means ‘I love you’. 168 in Chinese (Yi Liu Ba yi liu ba) has a similar pronunciation to Yi Lu Fa , which means being lucky and prosperous all the way to success.

Chinese believe in harmony and balance. Therefore, even numbers are preferred over odd numbers. The number 0 is a whole number as well as an even one, especially for money, and is thus considered a lucky digit. It is often used romantically and means “forever” (or “one life one time”).

China Highlights Can Help You With The Perfect China Trip!

Did you know that when you press the Chinese elevator button to reach the 50th floor, you could actually be reaching the 35th floor. This is because many Chinese buildings do not have the 13th floor. They also miss any floors containing the number 4, which in Chinese culture is the unluckiest number. 6 (pronounced Liu), which is pronounced liu, can be considered lucky because it sounds like the word “to flow”, and can signify smooth progress in your life. Similar to 8, 6 is preferred in number plates and phone numbers. When a couple gets engaged, the man customarily offers a gift to the girl’s family which is usually money and this gift signifies a harmonious life for the couple. Chinese love for 8 can also be seen in other situations, such as house numbers and phone numbers, number plates, wedding dates, and the date of opening a business.

The Australian Department of Home Affairs changed the names of their Business Skills visas (subclasses 160-165) to 188 Subclasses and 888 Subclasses in 2014. Both include eights. Some Chinese buildings have the numbers 4, 13, and 14. It’s significant since it is one of three important stages in a person’s life . It offers VIPABC, TutorABC and TutorABCJr English learning. China Highlights tailor-makes China tours to help travelers discover China their way.

Tutorming News

For example, gifting to friends or to couples seldom contains the number 3 in any form of association. Three is pronounced “san”, which is similar to the word that refers to ‘to part ways.

4 is a well-known number that is unlucky. Si sounds very similar to Si (si), which in Chinese means “death”. People will do anything to please the superstitions associated with the number 4. Apartments and houses with 4 addresses will sell for less than those without.

The Lucky Numbers In China

7 could also be considered unlucky, as Qi sounds similar to Qi – meaning “cheat”. For Chinese New Year, banners are placed symmetrically on both sides of the door.